Certain types of accidents and dangerous occurrences are legally required to be reported to the Authority in line with the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Reporting of Accidents and Dangerous Occurrences) Regulations 2016 in Ireland and under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR) in Northern Ireland and the UK.
Ashview Consultants can help in any accident and incident investigations and advise if an accident or incident requires reporting to the relevant authorities.
Carrying thorough accident and incident investigations are an important part of health and safety management, doing this ensures the cause of the accident is established and importantly measures can be put in place to prevent a reoccurrence.
A typical accident or incident investigation should involve;
- Leave the scene untouched to allow all the facts to be established
- Start taking statements from the injured part if possible.
- Take statements from any witnesses or bystanders.
- Taking photographs of the scene and any plant, equipment etc.. Involved
- If possible, set up re-enactments to give a clear understanding of what happened.
- Once all the evidence is gathered start establishing the root cause (s)
- Put in place measures to prevent a reoccurrence,
- Update any the risk assessments and safe systems of work with new preventative measures.
- Brief the workforce on what happened and measures taken to prevent a reoccurrence.
- Establish system to audit/inspect the preventative measures.
Ashview Consultants are accident and incident investigation specialists and can assist you in this process or come in and carryout the whole accident and investigation process from beginning to end.
We also provide expert witnesses with more than 20 years health and safety experience and who are chartered safety and health practitioners.
Contact us today if you require accident and incident investigation support or require want to talk to one of our expert witnesses.